Easter the Verb

 





Who can say when or how it will be that something easters up out of the dimness to remind us of a time before we were born and after we will die? Frederick Buechner


I am endlessly intrigued by the word “easter” used as a verb. Not only am I reminded of those who believe, as I do, that God is a verb, but eastering seems to bring me closer to the mysterious and ineffable, to notions like resurrection and incarnation. It fosters our witness to miracles on earth.


“something easters up out of the dimness” is a phrase which assists me in my contemplation of these 50 days when intentionally practicing resurrection. It calls me to pause in the dimnesses of life, of which there are too many these days, and instead of assuming the dimness is fatal darkness, to stay. 


I imagine remaining at a dim, empty tomb with all its frightening aspects and being surprised by the ghost of a gardener or the apparition of an angel. Staying in unexpected, uncomfortable moments offers the opportunity of eastering. Something is happening. Something is being made new, even if a mere idea or perspective. 


Moreover, it has become apparent to me that eastering happens not only in dimness but through cracks, through vulnerability. Letting go of that which might prevent emergence of wonder is a necessary if difficult task. Trust in the slow work...


At this time in my life “eastering” is especially important and poignant as I navigate difficult relationships. It offers hope instead of anxiety and despair that in this liminal space of I know not what, there is indeed something whole and holy which might reveal itself.


Bless easter the verb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love