When More is Enough




 Just as I was preparing to write this liturgeemail I noticed Mary Chapin Carpenter’s New Year’s post. I was struck by the resonance and the building harmonies, as in one of her songs. I was also struck by the use of the word “more” when some of us associate “more” with selfishness and greed. Instead these “mores” feel like prayers of pastoral care and ironically cause me to think: this must be when more is enough!


I have prayed for a while now to realize what is “enough”. And especially at this juncture in my life to feel I have done “enough”. 

The Spirit has helped me begin to understand that the question ought to be converted to “have I BEEN enough”.


Letting go of accomplishment accumulation and walking into the becoming of discipleship has brought me to this point. All of the “mores” are about being, not doing, and that to me is so very sacred and so very consoling.


This will be my second to last Liturgeemail (the last being this coming Sunday’s sermon) as I celebrate my last service at Christ Church and turn the page on where more hope, more patience and more discernment take me. I pray that I have been enough and will be enough.


I will continue to post on my blog Blessing Imagination (see signature line below) as the journey continues. 


For now please know that writing since March 17, 2020 has been a great spiritual gift. That it touches any of you at any point, an even greater gift! 


Pandemics continue, darkness surrounds, but that is only part of the story. The rest of it lies, I believe, in the “mores” of living into hope and patience and breathing with renewed intention and stillness and wondering, etc. When we move beyond the despair of situations beyond control, and live into the more of becoming, I have faith that we will be blessed with the imagination to envision what we never knew possible. I pray we all be blessed with more LOVE. 


God bless you everyone! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love