Advent Dreams

 



I have come to understand and accept that a disturbing dream or vision might actually be constructive...like criticism?! So when I found myself on the edge of a precipice looking out on a not Grand Canyon like chasm but a dark and jagged and foreboding one, I tried in a sleepy state to remain there and lift my gaze. That is where the struggle was felt. Similar to being unable to move when being chased in a nightmare, I was unable to lift my gaze, from whence cometh my help! Then I woke up!

So processing began and I realized a possible interpretation: We are on the verge of Advent which this year feels a bit like a frightening precipice. And the journey upon which we are called to embark is a dark and murky one. Uncertainty has eclipsed “normalcy” and disease (dis-ease) has infected any sense of peace. 

So I am indeed disturbed! In my waking as well as my sleeping!

Yet unlike my dream I am somehow able now that I am awake to lift my gaze! I am able to avert my preoccupation with the enormity of the task with a curiosity about hope and faith. That may be all I can know! 

Some use the phrase active waiting for Advent to distinguish it from the kind of numbed waiting we have displayed in the past. Unlike the paralysis I felt in my dream I am incorporating hope and a deepening faith to step over the threshold and into a liminal numinous space which is real! Guide us waking and guard us sleeping...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the Question of Prayer

Sacramental Language

The Glory of God is a Human Fully Alive