The Slow Presence of Beauty


We are too often fooled into thinking it is up to us, that we have control. (whatever ‘It’ is) Beauty, however, is not up to us. We cannot, like magicians, make it appear on cue. We must prepare our selves, our souls and bodies, to receive this Mystery. What is up to us is the preparation and the reflection of Beauty into the world.
John O’Donohue says: “When we walk on the earth with reverence, beauty will decide to trust us. Beauty is mysterious, a slow presence who waits for the ready, expectant heart.” (The Invisible Embrace Beauty) This speaks to me of the orientation we might seek in order to meet this “slow presence”. I suspect it will be barely perceptible and majestic! Like a sunrise!
On Sabbath walks I often find myself pausing to reorient my thoughts and my stride. I tell myself I am not trying to “accomplish” anything and I am often met with internal resistance. But when I surrender, the other side of awakening to Beauty, I am surprised by Beauty, just as CS Lewis was surprised by Joy. 
It is in this mutual longing, this mutual presence, human to holy, that Beauty often arrives. Slow presence reminds me to trust in the slow work of God, enduring and unfolding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love

Behold and Become the Beloved