post hurricane wonder




 I drove back to Plymouth Saturday evening not knowing what to expect from hurricane reports (my GPS told me to watch out hurricane ahead!!!).

I was pretty certain the worst was over but nervous nevertheless.

As I got close to home i noticed the sky was lit up in soft tones of peach and blue, pinks, salmons, and patches of brightness peeking through dark clouds. The once thick bank of storm was thinning and reflecting and refracting a blossoming sunset.

The picture above does not do it justice but it does help me reflect on the beauty which can emerge from threatening circumstances. 

There really are not many words beyond noting this wondrous moment. Even stopping to take a picture broke the spell. So i will spend some time “paying attention” as the poet Mary Oliver suggests, not analyzing, just being grateful, letting this fill my soul and penetrate the cracks in my heart with splendor. 

As Rabbi Heschel notes: I asked for wonder; at times like this wonder floods the senses and one can only pause in prayer with arms raised.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love