Love III

 


Today we encounter the famous Gospel from John with this idea: God so loved the World that He gave His only Son that we who believe might have eternal life.

It has been parsed and coopted, in part because it is so wondrous and in part because we want to define and capture it, reproduce it. That of course fails to give Love its mystery and full power!

Later today we gather via Zoom to discuss Love is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubling Times by Bishop Michael Curry. Bishop Curry believes and demonstrates that Love is not just a dream but can be a reality which transforms despair into hope. I share this belief and hold it very gently...

As we pray to the God of Love and ponder love in our lives George Herbert may be a third voice in reminding us of the welcoming, consoling and incarnational power of love. 


Love bade me welcome. Yet my soul drew back 

                              Guilty of dust and sin.

But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack 

                             From my first entrance in,

Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,

                             If I lacked any thing.

 

A guest, I answered, worthy to be here:

                             Love said, You shall be he.

I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,

                             I cannot look on thee.

Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,

                             Who made the eyes but I?

 

Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame

                             Go where it doth deserve.

And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?

                             My dear, then I will serve.

You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat:

                             So I did sit and eat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love

Not by Navigation