For the Sake of the Choir

 


Annie Dillard asks and answers: “What are we here for? Propter chorum, the monks say: for the sake of the choir.”  The Writing Life


All God's critters got a place in the choir.


As someone who cherishes, no craves, solitude and silence, I often startle myself when I turn up the volume on Kings College Choir or find myself misty with remembering the joyful noise of children when I was a nursery school director! Annie Dillard helps me to understand the relationship between purpose and execution thereof, between solitude and community, between ego and true identity in something beautiful and eternal.

The beloved community, not to mention the great cloud of witnesses, are the choir toward which my solitude ought to point. I am newly blessed by a sense of commitment to facilitating the joyful voices and sounds of the choir, even if it is stage manager or costume cleaner or page turner! Ultimately we are listener and participant at onc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love