Anticipating 9/11


To speak to you, the dead of September 11, I must not claim false intimacy or summon an overheated heart glazed
just in time for a camera. I must be steady and I must be clear, knowing all the time that I have nothing to say--no words stronger than the steel that pressed you into itself; no scripture older or more elegant than the ancient atoms you 
have become. 
And I have nothing to give either--except this gesture,
this thread thrown between your humanity and mine:
excerpt from Toni Morrison on 9/11

I realize that today is 9/10 but as soon as 9/1 comes around, even in the midst of Labor Day picnics and back to school excitement, I am thinking of 9/11. Like the day JFK was shot where I was and what I felt is forever etched on my mind. Whenever a clear blue day occurs in September I give thanks and I grieve. 

So Toni Morrison helps me with maintaining the genuineness of gesture and intimacy. Tomorrow especially, everyday really, is about that invisible thread which weaves us together, the thread like grace, for which there are no words, only worship. 

let us be still and re-member. let us be steady and clear. let us be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love