Painted Into A Pollock Painting


It was a wonder-filled time with mountains and lake and the sound of water and loons overlaid with magical moments with children. It was also a time in which anxiety was always close to the surface, even when the new was turned off. Usually a retreat or vacation is a time of rest and reorder and yet this year the disorder and disorientation was so close pervasive that it needed to be appreciated instead of analysed. Fortunately, Richard Rohr was offering meditations on “order, disorder and reorder” which triggered memories of Brueggemann’s psalmic orientation, disorientation and reorientation which in turn aligns with human development and how we learn and move through life, how our identities are formed. And so I found myself on the dock gazing at Rohr’s image of a Pollack painting and noticed myself. It was a hopeful if disorienting experience.

I feel painted into a Jackson Pollack painting
A red splat or a yellow sloop
As though tossed rapidly and randomly onto a chaotic canvas
No paths 
No order
No precision
Other than the precision of persistent randomness 
Who am I in this disarray? 
I am certainly not alone
There is a community of misfit strangers
Trying to reorder and rearrange
It is really quite interesting and inspiring when I accept the uncertainty
We are all on this canvas together
Dots and slivers of color in cosmic display
I think of jazz and the notion of improvisation. 
When I began this poem I wanted to convert to a Monet like moving from the United States to Canada 
At least the impression of clarity
Now I am content to linger in this joyful anxiety
Hopeful of a variation composed communally. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love