Saturday's deep breath


“Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths or the turning inwards in prayer for five short minutes.” Etty Hillesum
Saturdays have taken on that importance for me. It seems as though during the week while all is blending together I catch myself holding my breath. Saturday becomes a long exhale before the Sabbath. In particular I find myself more deeply in prayer and conversation with God just before the Sermon on Sunday. Because the world is changing so fast I no longer trust anything I write on Tuesday will even be relevant on Sunday. So it is with prayer. The collects always have meaning but tailoring the intercessions and spontaneous prayer has taken on new meaning and importance. 
And so, just before we explore tomorrow the story of the disciples on the road to Emmaus and enter into that narrative differently than ever before, we pause and turn inward. Take two deep breaths and savor this by Hafiz as we prepare for our hearts to be burning and ponder “tripping over joy” or as the musician says, stumbling toward ecstacy!
TRIPPING OVER JOY – by Hafiz
What is the difference
Between your experience of Existence
And that of a saint?
The saint knows
That the spiritual path
Is a sublime chess game with God
And that the Beloved
Has just made such a Fantastic Move
That the saint is now continually
Tripping over Joy
And bursting out in Laughter
And saying, “I Surrender!”
Whereas, my dear,
I am afraid you still think
You have a thousand serious moves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love