Joy Unspeakable V and a Glorious Call to Worship



would like to share a story of joy unspeakable. It happened in the spring of 2008 as my husband and I sat in Chapin Hall at Williams College awaiting the seniors including our oldest son to enter for Baccalaurete. I have always thought this evening’s celebration couched in benediction and intimacy was more ‘meaningful’ than the coming graduation in its grand size and scope! So my anticipation was already heightened and my camera was poised. 
All of a sudden the room hushed and a clear crystaline note was proclaimed and extended from up behind me. It came from a spot as far from the stage as one could get and thus inverted all ordinary focus. It expanded. It pierced. It contained urgency, joy and holiness. I searched the highest corner of the balcony and there was the source! The Imam was calling us to worship in a way I had not previously experienced, in a way which summoned complete attention and reverence. The voice calling in the wilderness. Divine Charism. 
Tears come to my eyes now as I recall this moment. I certainly remember it at times such as walking out from the depths of Petra and pausing to watch the completely embodied prayer of the Muslims along the route. I certainly remember it on Christmas Eve when for one holy moment on that holy night all attention is transfixed on the manger, on a child, on hope and joy and possibility. 
What is this feeling of mixed joy and fear and reverence and wonder? For me it is at least the best of our human attempts to call all attention to God and to enact benediction and liturgy evoking communal response. It has something to do with reverence and devotion.
Barbara Holmes calls this public theology in shared liturgical discernment. She says: “lived theology is a contextual and dialogical process that is always enhanced by responsive community”. I would add to the word, enhanced, sanctified. 
Listen for the call to worship which in these times comes from unexpected sources, voices and places. Listen for the call to worship which comes no matter where we are scattered and reminds us we are connected in an invisible web. Listen for the call to worship which calls us to wonder, love and praise, together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is Love

Behold and Become the Beloved

Advent 4/ The Mystery of the Incarnation of Love